Nicole's Tour

A compilation of the experiences that the upcoming year holds for me. Add a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of poetic spirit...and hopefully all will turn out alright.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Pick-ups and Goodbyes

So I know this is supposed to be a journal about New Zealand and all that jazz, but come to find out, my life is still somewhat interesting while in the states. Let's examine...

So yesterday I got hit by a car while riding (I think we can call it training now) my bike. And when I say "car" I mean "pickup truck" and when I say "hit" I mean "got t-boned at an intersection" while training for the Tour de Shunk. Thankfully I walked away from it with some decent bruises, some swells on my left shin where I hit the pavement, some swelling/laceration action on my left hand, some pulled neck muscles and traps, and a bit of a headache. I say 'thankfully' because we all know an alternative to bumps and bruises when getting hit by a truck. I actually owe a lot to my helmet and I would like to thank him for all he's done for me. I am now in debt for the rest of my life to a piece of plastic. Milo (my bike for all of you who don't know him) on the other hand is in tough shape. I was still clipped in when I went flying over the car so he hit the pavement pretty hard with me. His left shifter is bent in towards the right one, the front wheel a bit tacoed. I'm still not sure about the deraillers, but somehow he was thrown some 30 feet away from me once I came unclipped. The frame looks to be in pretty good shape so my finger's are crossed--that would make my life exponentially easier when it comes to fixing him. I'm pretty bummed that I won't be able to ride much the next few days while Milo and I recouperate. I've been riding very well lately and it all ends when you get hit by a pickup. Oh well, new leases on life are always a good thing too.


On a completely different note...I've had to start saying my goodbyes to people...my longterm goodbyes. I said goodbye to a very special person this morning and it made this whole trip seem so much more real than it has before. If anything though, I can say that this summer has given me a new perspective on life and has made saying goodbye just a tad bit easier. Put simply...life is short so enjoy the people around you...forgive, forget, move on and you'll be all the happier; know that life goes on and that change is good. Don't fear adventure and letting go of people. If someone is truly special he or she will be there when you return.


Alright, sorry for the heavy nature of this post(we all know the Ice Queen's take on sentimentality). But it has been a difficult weekend. Next time I promise there will be a higher number of inappropriate comments and raunchy humor more my fashion.

-NMK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home