Nicole's Tour

A compilation of the experiences that the upcoming year holds for me. Add a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of poetic spirit...and hopefully all will turn out alright.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Moral Dilemma

So I may as well be out with it since previous posts suggest that I may be dealing drugs or something.

Basically the job I'm currently working has been fantastic. I've been able to choose my own hours, get time off whenever I want it, and I am, in essence, my own boss. The downsides however, are becoming a bit trying. And when I say 'a bit' I am so incredibly UNDERemphasizing how trying things have actually become. Yes, it is annoying driving nearly 45 minutes one way, many times in the dark and the rain, but that is only part of it. I am my own boss...because I am the only one working this job. Therefore my interaction with co-workers, normally a plentiful pool of potential friends, has been nil. I have also been made aware of some pay issues dealing with holiday pay, paid days off and whatnot that I am not entitled too...basically because the business does not have enough money to pay me. Which is normally not ok. But my employers have done a lot of nice things for me...I mean they gave me a bed for goodness sake. But in the end I suppose that's not the point here.

The point is that I almost quit two weeks into the term, which is definitely not ok. And many people have argued that it's definitely not OK for them to NOT pay me certain things that, by law, I am owed. But at the same time, it's not just about them and the money. It's about the kids and the parents that I made a committment to right? I told them I would be here for the next ten weeks and aren't I supposed to live up to that? I've had too many of my own coaches tell me they would be there for me and then POOF they're gone. I promised myself I wouldn't do that in return and I almost did.

So this is the moral debate...do I do what is right by law, give my two weeks and peace out. Shouldn't I be happy in my time here, however long it ends up being? Or do I stick it out for as long as I can (nearly six more weeks) dedicate myself to these people and go out gracefully and in good standing? Well, I'm either a sucker, or a guilty conscience can just play too much with my mind, so I've decided to stick it out for the next six weeks. "six weeks!" you say. "That isn't a long time!" but it is. It's a month and a half and with gas prices coming out my butt, it's going to be even harder to get out and back. But the point is really that I should do what I said I was going to do, even if others aren't living by that same mantra.

The only other dilemma that rests in this situation now is the job interview I have today with Allastair. I believe he is the head swim coach for a swim team that is, oh, about a seven second drive from my house. Well, maybe not a seven second drive, but I could definitely get to this place on my bike in about an eighth of the time it takes to get out to my current job. And it's a real coaching job. Not some piddly thing where I have to get in the water and hold the kids up and teach them one on one. It's a job with intervals, swim meets, tri-master in the morning. I would have basically the same athletic schedule that I had during college, except I'd be the one on the deck this time. Which is not such a bad thing. There were many mornings that I envied my coaches for their coffee and bundled up appearances. And this job just sounds promising. It's what I wanted to do when I moved here but there was nothing available. It's things I want to learn, so maybe I can use them later on in a coaching career or a side-job. It's an opportunity to be close to home, still have free time, but still be busy enough to feel useful. And since I'm going to be staying here a bit longer (i hope) it'll feel like a more forward moving career move rather than just some dead-end job out in the middle of nowhere.

But I'm nervous. If I do get the job, what if they want me to start in say, two weeks? Which I clearly cannot do, because that would totally go against my whole principle thing i talked about in the above paragraphs. But should I pass up pretty much the best opportunity I may have in this country to date to fulfill some stupid (non-contracted) job that I'm not enjoying nor am I getting paid properly for? How unfair would that be?

Like it says: Moral Dilemma.

So that is the situation now folks. I have my resume ready, and my interview outfit all laid out. I just hope and pray that whoever I am going to be talking to a) finds me interesting and capable and b) is understanding about my current situation.

-NMK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home