Nicole's Tour

A compilation of the experiences that the upcoming year holds for me. Add a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of poetic spirit...and hopefully all will turn out alright.

Friday, May 12, 2006

Craig

It is raining right now, so hard that it almost looks like snow, and the wind is juddering the french doors against their lock. It is really one of the most horrible days I have seen here in a while, with sheets of water blowing nearly sideways, trees bending beneath the force of windy gusts, their leaves tearing from their branches without a fight. Topping it all off-it is so cold my fingers are going numb as I type this.

And my boyfriend is out on his bike.

Yes he's out training on his bike right now, completely putting me to shame. I just couldn't bring myself to get up before dawn and meander out into this dreadful weather. I used to think I was tough climbing up hills in little drizzles, going on four hour bunch rides bundled up like an eskimo, but clearly he wins the award for the most badass....something. Or the most insane, I suppose it's all a means of perception.

And although I am not out in this wretched weather getting soaked to the bone, there is something very special for ME seeing him out there getting soaked to the bone. It's actually very inspiring. And with so many people lately telling me that I've inspired them to do one thing or another, well, I've really needed a bit of inspiring myself. It's funny when you can't bring yourself to get off your ass and go running, then ten minutes later when your checking your emails and munching on some graham crackers you get people writing to tell you about completing their first triathlon, or getting really ripped over the summer. And then they thank you for inspiring them to do it. Or showing them the way. Or something like that. And that's when you nearly pull out your hair and think "um, i'm missing something here."

So I think this...this crazy Kiwi of mine...is kind of that inspiring little kick I've needed. I'm certainly not to the point he's at just yet, but I'm also not training to race internationally either. We'll start small with, let's say, the local 40k. But only on a nice weekend. ;-) And I'll continue to try and overcome what has become a very large comfort zone.

All in all, he really makes me proud--proud of him and proud to be with him. And he's shown me who I used to be and who I want to be again. I'm sure the transition won't happen overnight, but if there is anything he's reminded me of, it's that I can't be scared. To try anything. Be it in sports, careers, any aspect of life. If you're scared and you back down or you don't even try, you won't get your way. This all may seem very obvious but it's really really easy to fall into the trap of settling and believing there is nothing better, especially when everything is unfamiliar and overwhelming.

There you have it. That's Craig. A very inspiring person...and a very good chess player (who I will beat again someday).

-NMK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home