Nicole's Tour

A compilation of the experiences that the upcoming year holds for me. Add a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of poetic spirit...and hopefully all will turn out alright.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Operation renew Visa Day 2

In all fairness, I can't think of a single country that would want a sick or unhealthy individual moving in and sucking off their health-care systems. Unfortunately, it does happen and that is why I was sent on the other-worldly quest I experienced yesterday. Ok ok, it wasn't THAT big of a deal and I was impressed with the speed in which all of the medical places (count 'em, 3) responded to my requests. In other words, I would NEVER have had such a short wait in an American hospital or lab as I did here in New Zealand's. Choice.

So the day began early with a trip to the photographers. There are very few photographers open at 8:00 am who can take a passport photo and process it in ten minutes. Hell, if this were America, I'd have no fear, for Walmart would be there. After some phonebook searching I did manage to find just such a place (minus the Wal-martesque blue vests) and in no time, I had my passport sized photographs. Only here in New Zealand, you're not allowed to smile...for anything related to official documentations. So it was more of a mug shot, though I tried to raise up my eyebrows a bit, which made me look like I really really wanted to smile.

Annnnyway-from there I was off to my doctor. Who incidentally was the doctor I acquired (can you acquire a doctor?) while I was working out in the country...cheaper, rates, better service. So I liked her so much I've officially made her my doc, completely ignoring the half hour drive to get there. Two thoughts on this one- it takes me a half hour to get to my doc at home and I don't want to get sick very often!

I arrive and they start doing all this stuff...you know, standard physical stuff, height, weight (lost 1.5kgs!) eye tests (i had a small panic attack because I thought my eyes were going because I couldn't read the bottom line as well as I used to be able to---but the nurse told me most people can't read it at all so i felt better. They also did ear, nose and throat checks and my doctor filled out all the information on the questionnaire that she needed to. And for all this, they lightened my pocket of a cool $200. Yes you are not reading that wrong. $200 bucks for what they used to do for sports physicals back in high school. Fuck me. (and yes that is secretly what i whispered under my breath as I pulled out my atm card). The best part is that I still had two thirds of the medical stuff to do!

So the nurses at my doc's helped me locate a place to get my chest X-Ray. They also helped me find a place to get the necessary bloodwork done because apparently NZ immigration has made the test so official that no regular doctors can do it anymore. I headed back into town, towards the center, to complete this lovely process. I was still pleasantly surprised to realize that I would be able to get everything done in one fell swoop.

When I arrived at the medlab for bloodwork, they took me in immediately. Charged me the $96 for sticking me with a needle, and then poked me. In a flash it was over and I was gone. And poorer. I did notice (as I always have) that the woman drawing blood are typically really really nice and good at conversation. Probably a quality they look for when hiring so if someone seems the type to freak out they can deal with it well.

From there I went down the street to the X-Ray lab at the southern cross hospital (why do hospitals always have something churchy in their name...though this is probably because of the southern cross in the night sky. Just a query). My appointment was for 3:45, but the bloodwork required no waiting and I was out of there by 2:45. So I thought, 'may as well see if they can take me earlier'. And holy crap they did. This would NEVER happen in the US. If you show up an hour early to an appointment, they don't say "oh come on in". They say, "please take a seat (and wait your turn you overenthusiastic hypochondriac.)" And bam, it was done. Five minutes, maybe ten. One small chest X-Ray and another $78. My medical day was over by 3:30. Well done New Zealand medical.

Which brings me to this conclusion. Of course this country is going to want healthy people coming in. They want to keep their medical services running efficiently.

So that was my day. I became nearly $400 poorer, and a few steps closer to gaining a longer standing visa. Everyone keeps asking why I don't apply for residency. Well, a) I haven't lived here long enough to do so and b) I will someday. Just not yet.

-NMK

1 Comments:

At 1:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nicole! I was trying to catch up on your adventures on this lovely day that I get to go into work at 1. Times at the park th is summer are pretty cool, relatively laid back. Jess and I are frighting to go to comp, but I'd rather do my tri. I also wanted to tell you that I miss you, and that I hope you come home for a visit soon. Things just arent the same without you here. I blew my first tube on my bike yesterday and all I could think of was "wow, Nicole would be so proud of me" lol. maybe not, but I still thought it.

I know I told you shortly about my new guy, but I thought I'd try again with a little more detail. His name is Doug (it's really Craig, but he goes by his middle name) and hes 24.Hes from a suburb out side of Cleveland, to which I can't remember the name. He went to Clarkson and graduated in 2004, and from there got a job at Lockheed Martin in Owego and moved to the Bingo area. We met at the Court Jester while I was lifeguarding, way back in February. We had gone out a few times in groups with like Helen and his friend Sean (goofy as all get out) I think we both liked eachother, but couldnt really do or say anything about it. After things with Brian fizzled in April, Doug and I started hanging out a little bit more. Things got kind of hairy when Doug went into the hospital with chest pains that put him in tears. Turns out he had pericarditis (inflamation of the lining around the heart)and had to stay there for 4 days. I spent alot of time with him here and knew that I wanted to be together, but I thought it would be a good idea for Brians sake if I waited a bit. lol , turns out Brian was pretty much doing the same thing haha. But long story short, we officially became a couple on May 5th. And the rest is history.

So, now that Ive made you sick with my sappy love story, I wanted to tell you again that I'm graduating In December (hopefully my gym class will open up a spot)and having my own graduation party which will consist of prom gowns, suits and a niiice dinner around Christmas time.

My Brothers are getting older, and its absolutely crazy, and So am I! my b day is in less that 2 weeks, or 12 days if you like that better. eeeeek! I decided that its high time that I move out of my house, so hopefully for next summer I'll have a place of my own and I'll be out of the house. I cant wait! (thank you student loans!)I thought I was moving out with my frkiend Helen, but its looking like shes not the ideal roommate anymore.

Anyway, I dont want to bore you, but I thought I'd try to fill you in like you do for us on your blog. I'm glad that things are going well for you, and that you're really happy. just know that I miss you and can't wait to see you again, even if its only for a few minutes. AND in my end of school year transition, I misplaced your email and regular address again. I'd like to send you some pictures of Doug and I if I can ever get him to give them to me. (hes quit the weiner sometimes :) )

But anyway, I'm sure you're very busy and don't want to spend alot of time reading my nonsense. Hopefully I'll talk to you soon!

<3 Ashley

 

Post a Comment

<< Home