Nicole's Tour

A compilation of the experiences that the upcoming year holds for me. Add a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of poetic spirit...and hopefully all will turn out alright.

Monday, August 28, 2006

Mud, Blood and Mountain Biking

Bikes are cool for many reasons but in the past few decades they have become even cooler, mainly because there are so many different types of bikes. One can find a bike to act as a car on the road, or a different type to take you places cars could never go. So while road biking is still very cool because of the challenge it presents and excercise it affords, mountain biking is also very cool. It is technical and requires more than just athleticism. It is scary and gets your adrenaline running. It is the quintessence of being amongst nature, especially when riding through little tunnels made by overhanging pine tree branches. It is also cool because, let's face it, there is nothing more badass than whipping through the forest on two wheels and some metal.

In all honesty, I do not "Whip" through anything just yet. But I'm working up to it.

Every Thursday, which I am now officially dubbing "Craig and Nicole Day", Craig and I take a mountain bike trip to Bottle Lake Forest Park. And every week I fall down and bleed. Bleed bleed bleed. Everywhere. Two weeks ago it was so bad I couldn't wear pants for four days because the open wound would stick to the pants. Eww. That set me back a few steps. I'll get pictures up here soon. I couldn't resist. It was just gaping.

So after the mountain biking and the bleeding, we've started a new "C&N Day" tradition (ok so we've done it once) where we go to one of the local pools called QEII. This complex is simply beautiful and it reminds me of some of the nicest places I've had meets in. Once there I do a few laps in the competition pool (which is set for 50 wretched metres) and then we go off into the recreation pools which are fantastic. There is a lazy river, a huge wave pool, a small wading pool, two spas, a sauna, a steam room and some water slides. It's a good place to just kind of play around and loosen up our legs. Craig is also allowing me to teach him some swimming. I figured that since he's teaching me so much about biking, that I could teach him a little about what I know. He's quite good and can kick in the streamline without breathing for nearly 25 meters. Not bad for a non-fish.

So that is a bit of what "Craig and Nicole day" is like. Usually anywhere from 3-6 hours of fun, healthy exercise. Wow, I'm a tool.

Along with fun days off, I've been having some pretty good days at work. I'm still the top sale's person and I'm getting to quite a high amount for this month. I'm pretty stoked that this is only my second full month and my sales are already in the 6-figure marks. I like this whole selling thing. Not sure if it's my cup of tea for forever, but it's definitely going to help me in my quest to get home (and travel other places) for the next few years.

Speaking of traveling home, my visa is currently being processed and I'm just waiting on a result. I hope it all goes well, though I expect it will. I'll be simply gutted if things don't work out. But if they don't, I'll just find a way to stay here illegally. Maybe I'll sell organs on the black market.

A few more do-dads here and there. Sadly, my parents have decided to sell our home. With good reasons...they'll be able to come see me more!!! So while I am a bit teary-eyed (ok I was in hysterics over it at first) I have seen the silver lining and am hoping that they sell it sooner rather than later. It's funny, but I think they realized much sooner than I did that I was probably not going to be coming home. At least not living at home with them permanently ever again. I've begun to make a little life of my own here, and even if we don't stay in Christchurch forever, I think I've officially "left the nest" or whatever they say. Hell, Craig and I are even looking at getting our own place, mainly for investment purposes, within the next year or so. We're also looking into getting a dog as well, which I can't WAIT for.

I suppose this is the best update I can give for the time being. I've got a lot planned for the next few years so we shall see how things go. I do know that I'm quite happy that I've found my little niche in the cycling world and that New Zealand is treating me so well. America could learn a lot from this country...especially about healthcare and social welfare systems. Maybe I should call up the US and tell them. Hmmm.

I will be back with updates on my visa renewal so all you people who hoped I'd never return to the states can know whether or not to start the party. :-)

-NMK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home