Nicole's Tour

A compilation of the experiences that the upcoming year holds for me. Add a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of poetic spirit...and hopefully all will turn out alright.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Jobs everywhere!

So I've been job searching all week, interviewing and all that fun stuff that we get to do once we're in the "real world"...except this isn't the real world to me bc it's NZ and it's way sweet and there is no WAY the real world should be sweet. At least that's what the rumors are. Maybe I am in the "real world" and it's just better than most people say....maybe they lie to us so less people come join the real world bc it can be quite fun and they want the fun all to themselves. Hmm, now that's something to think about isn't it?

So yeah I think I've got a job...well maybe three. One is at an afterschool childcare type thing except it's way cooler bc they let the kids be kids instead of just little humans walking around not touching anthing and just watching tv. I've also got a potential swim lesson job coupled with some water aerobics classes which pays serious bank here in NZ. And then, after that I've got a real sweet gig with a local sports complex where i would essentially be a sort of swim teacher and coach...teaching techniques to people. When i went for my interview and actually told the woman what my swimming background was like, she was like 'oh, well, we will definitely be wanting you here". Plus if i work there i get free access to the gym and will then be able to resume my "gym rat" days when it's too hot to bike outside. I can also use any of the pools on my off hours. They are in meters and they swim up and down the left side of the lanes, so that may be a challenge at first. I can't help but think of Liz Kennedy when she told her tale of almost killing some guy in Australia bc she was swimming on the wrong side of the pool. Haha. But yeah i guess they have some really fast swimmers here...like the 13th fastest 50 flyer (i know it's just a 50 but that's a pretty cool thing still) and some commonwealth champ in the breastroke or something. Pretty sweet deal.

So between these jobs I'm sure I'll be able to scrounge enough money to survive. Woohoo survival. The cool thing about NZ is that you are supposed to be able to live off of min wage quite comfortably...and still be able to like put yourself through school or travel or anything like that. I think it is just so fabulous that min wage isn't shit here...kind of like it is in another country i know. Hmm....

Now that i may have a schedule and a bit of a niche i am feeling a lot better about being here. I am still sad when I reminisce about the past but I know that it's time to move on. I would have gotten really bored with college if it had lasted, oh let's say, 10 years! :-P I also would probably get bored with Bing, but in all truth, the Bing will always be a favorite place of mine.

Well, since I won't be getting any sort of work until next week, I'm going to just enjoy my last free weekend...biking, clubbing, seeing a bit of the south island. i just wish it would warm up a bit...it has been sooo cold here it's a little silly.

And I would like to wish my dear SARAH FITZPATRICK a very very happy 22nd birthday. I write that today on the 20th of oct here in NZ bc it is actually the 19th back home. So i'm not late, i'm right on time. I love you Sarah and I hope your 22nd is as great as you made mine (and what a night it was).

That's all for now kids! And remember, always look both ways before crossing the street...especially when you're in a country that drives on the left side of the road. It is way easy to die when you act like you're still in america.

-NMK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home