Nicole's Tour

A compilation of the experiences that the upcoming year holds for me. Add a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of poetic spirit...and hopefully all will turn out alright.

Monday, October 24, 2005

The Wild West...

...Or something like that. As I said before, we travelled west this weekend but unfortunately it was less than thrilling. Wait wait wait, let me back up a minute. Ok, the scenary to the west coast and even our campsite was breathtaking as everything is in this magnificent place, but I think I'm getting rather used to it! Haha. What I mean when I say "less than thrilling" is that we basically spent the entire trip hanging out at the site, doing nothing. In retrospect I suppose this was more appropriate for the type of trip we were going for. Since the weekend was a long weekend, it was really just a chance for everyone to get away and relax, not go climb mountains and glaciers. So yeah, there was no glacial action this weekend but we definitely plan on going back so no worries. That is the beauty of this place, everything is only a few hours away! We stopped in Hokitika where they have the nation's "Wild Foods" festival where they bring all sorts of restaurants and chefs and whatnot to this town and have booths with tons of different, experimental foods. I plan to attend this as it is one of the highlights of the South island.

So the West was quiet, peaceful, WARM (finally) and a nice trip out of the city. I wouldn't have minded staying in the city actually, but whatever. Rob took us off-roading and it was really great. The guys went hunting, they shot a goat (which smelled like vom coupled with rotten eggs). Thankfully they only brought the head back. I'm having a little trouble living with people who hunt some enthusiastically. The blood lust in this house can be a bit overwhelming, but again, this is all part of the experience. As long as I don't have to see the animal get shot or gutted I think I'll be fine.

So Friday of last week was a bit interesting and I completely failed to chronicle any of it here. Friday I treated myself to, not only another fantastic bike ride, but an amazing hour of swimming. Yes folks, I could hardly believe it myself...I willingly entered a competition pool and enjoyed a nice 2000 meter workout. I had a bit of trouble getting used to swimming on the left side, but the pool was beautiful. Reminded me a lot of the goodwill games pool down in Long Island. When I left the complex, I emerged into the cool evening air and it reminded me quite intensely of my high school swim seasons. Leaving the Forks' pool in the cold fall air, the smell of chlorine wafting off of me in all directions, wet hair, cold toes. It was lovely. I spoke with their coach a bit and he invited me to come swim with the team. I'm not sure what my plans will be, but it would be fun to swim on a team, with no one knowing any of my past swimming history...no pressure, no expectations. Simple fun. We'll see.

I also spoke with a woman about teaching aquasize classes before I left for teh camping trip. I drove out to her house, which ended up being nearly 40 minutes out of Christchurch. I had almost made up my mind to tell her it was too far to drive when I came upon their home...an enormous farm with every sort of animal one could think of. As I spoke with her and her husband, played with their new puppy, joked with her daughter Jasmine, dodged their pet sheep Steven, i decided that this was a place I would like to spend more time at, even if it meant such a long drive. Ruth showed me around the farm--I saw the cattle pens, the newly born calves, the lambs and their mums, the horses, the bulls (very angry young creatures!), the llamas, the sheepdogs (yes mom they have a border collie named jem!)--she also told me all about their lifestyle and it made me really curious. I asked her if, on top of teaching the swim classes at their (private!) indoor pool, if I could possibly work around the farm in my spare time. Ruth enthusiastically invited me to come help her train the llamas for the upcoming farm show in mid-November. I would then be able to show the llamas in the actual show!!! Ruth and her husband also told me that if I ever wanted to stay at their home I was more than welcome to and I'm sure I will take them up on that offer at one point or another. It felt good to be away from the city and see some real New Zealand life. Being here in a city, while fun and exciting, doesn't really show much of the cultural difference between the states and NZ. Thankfully I have fallen into this situation with Ruth and her husband. Which brings me to this thought...

It is amazing how differently farming is perceived here compared to the United States. And that is not to say the simple act of farming, it is to say, making of one's living by farming. In the United States we are often given the idea that farmers aren't as respectable as CEOs, educators, etc. And we truly do not recognize them as helpful to our country. However, here in NZ, to be a farmer is to be at the top. Farmers are so highly regarded here, for they run this country's economy! They are the wealthy, the well-off, the happy, comfortable people. They live such a carefree lifestyle and the government, as well as the citizens of NZ, recognize and thank them for it! It has truly been an eye-opening experience as far as this profession is concerned.

I have one last thought on my current journey through this world and this life. After speaking with a friend for a while we came to a conclusion that made me feel both silly and proud all at once. Before I secured these job opprotunities I was a bit upset about not having work, not having family, not having all the comforts of home at my fingertips. I was also a bit upset at the fact that I was not handling this discomfort very well. After our chat, I realized just how ridiculous it was for me to be disappointed with myself for being homesick or stressed! I am living 9000 miles away from home. I have never been more than two hours from home or at least some creature comfort. I have never lived in an apartment on my own. And I have certainly never lived in an apartment 9000 miles away from home all at once! Plus, I have never lived in a city, which in itself has proven quite overwhelming, even if Christchurch is only a few million people. That being said, I see now that I have taken such a huge leap that all I can be is proud of whatever I accomplish. I have gone from the ease of living at home in the rural outskirts of a smaller city to the ease of living in a dorm room in the rural outskirts of a small town; now I am in the middle of a big city in my own flat, fending for myself, further from home than I ever imagined being. I've concluded that that is a pretty big step to take all at once.

So those are my stories and interjections from this past weekend. I will find out tomorrow if I get this afterschool childcare job, then I can start working around it with coaching and aquasize classes. And once I have time I am going to try and get some pictures up for all to enjoy!!! I hope all is well...email me whenever any of you get the chance! It's always nice to read the words of a familiar friend!

-Nic

1 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Blogger jacquelina said...

Damn! I'm so jealous! Things sound fantastic! (^_^) Missing you and can't wait until we all get together to share pictures and storieds. Loving you...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home