Nicole's Tour

A compilation of the experiences that the upcoming year holds for me. Add a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of poetic spirit...and hopefully all will turn out alright.

Sunday, November 20, 2005

In search of a Niche

This week has proven to be quite busy...and full of opprotunity. I have been offered chance to manage a business, working around 5 hours a day and eventually sharing in the profits of this company. It is a private pool about 20 minutes outside the city, the owners want me to teach lessons, aquacise, manage the entire thing. This would allow me a lot of time outside the city, in a beautiful home, on a beautiful faym. I feel lighter and happier when I think of working there on a daily basis, when I think of becoming a temporary member of this family. It leaves me questioning a lot though.

With this change in jobs would most likely come a change in location. Since they have offered me the chance to stay at their place for most of the week it would seem nearly pointless to have a house in the city, to be paying lots of rent and bills for a place I'm not even living. Brett has offered me his place on the weekends if I want to come into the city to attend performances or simply go out on the town, but I'm not sure I want to burden him with that. I'm nervous, however, of living so far outside the city. Will I meet anyone? Will I be bored? Will I feel lonely and removed from all chances of meeting more people my age? Essentially what will become of my social life? I'm beginning to wonder if meeting a group of 22/23 year olds may not be the ultimate przie of this trip; that maybe it's ok to find your closest friends in a 34 year old mum (who is amazing) and her husband. Maybe having one or two american friends here, maybe one or two younger kiwis...maybe that is all I'm supposed to have. I think of Hil and Jackie and how they are in positions where they may not be finding "cliques" to be a part of. I think that maybe that is part of this process. Besides, I came to New Zealand to experience the culture...not just the party life. And I think spending time on a farm will help accomplish that much more than spending time in a bar.

Anyway I am ranting now and must be off. Maybe I'll bring you all more later.

-Cole

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home