Nicole's Tour

A compilation of the experiences that the upcoming year holds for me. Add a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of poetic spirit...and hopefully all will turn out alright.

Monday, September 18, 2006

A Hanmer Birthday



Craig and I at the summit of Isobel

What a lovely way to spend my first days of 23. Craig took me up to Hanmer Springs for an incredible hike and relaxing spa pool weekend. Needless to say, after a winter of indoors and inactivity (not completely but close enough) the hike up Mt Isobel was intense. 1300 plus metres of slippery, steeps, rocky track. But it was worth it, because upon reaching the top, the world was ours. We could see mile after mile of mountain range, blanketed in snow, quiet save for a slight breeze. With not a single other person to be found, we played in the snow atop Mt Isobel, ate lunch at the summit and then started the long, even more intense trek down. I think the down was much harder than the up, and it proved so the next day when our thighs were burning when walking down the stairs. After the amazing climb, we had a walk around town, a tasty dinner (almost disrupted by a brief power outage) and then a quiet night in the gorgeous cabin Craig rented. The next day we woke to the birds chirping and, well, nothing else. For once. Usually we wake to the city trucks rumbling outside our house so the peaceful awakening was more than welcome. I know I won't be able to live in a city forever. After packing up, we ate a yummy breakfast, went to the hot pools and put our poor muscles at ease. The pools are amid a sweet thicket of trees and other vegetation, surely planted to give the place the proper atmosphere, but the view of the mountains made me feel like heaven. And there was a strong wind blowing that made it possible to sit in a 40 degree pool without getting too hot (That's celsius mind you). All in all it was a wonderful birthday and one I will remember forever.



















Me at the summit point of Mt Isobel



The above and below pictures are views of the town of Hanmer from the summit of Mt. Isobel




But now I am sick. Again. Damn hayfever and pollen. I just can't kick this cold. Everyone is sick though, so that doesn't make it easy. Anyway, I just wanted to put up some pictures from my amazing birthday trip. They certainly don't do the view from the summit of Mt. Isobel justice.

-NMK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home