Nicole's Tour

A compilation of the experiences that the upcoming year holds for me. Add a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of poetic spirit...and hopefully all will turn out alright.

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Plan super C

Just got back from some last minute shopping with the fam. Random stuff...a washcloth (no i didn't have one here) and some random shitty earrings to take with me just to keep the holes in my ears open. Dumb, I know, but whatever. Don't want to lose any good jewelry. On our way back I noticed a sign, "Assembly Man Richard M. Miller* Memorial Highway." Answer me this: who would want a highway named after him or her as a way to remember them by? Seriously people, I can understand parks or events or even some buildings (as is the case on most college campuses) but a highway? Did they just run out of things to name in people's memory or what? It got me to thinking, we can do better than highways. What about a club or a bar..."President Richard M. Nixon memorial pub" aka "tricky Dick's". Better yet, we could get just outrageous here and name a memorial cucumber. We could put it under glass and all could come to see it. Of course that's not practical and truthfully I wouldn't want to be commemorated with a cucumber any more than with a highway...I will give this some more thought.

So the most recent turn of events in the "I'm moving to New Zealand" game is as follows:
-Nicole's parents approached her today on the fifty yard line of her bedroom with the suggestion that she travel sans Milo (my bike).
-Nicole, using some fancy footwork, outmanuvered Mom and started running down the sidelines with a decent shot at a victory.
-From out of nowhere Dad came up, causing her to stumble and almost falter her point.
-Mom, having recovered, ran up to join Dad and the two tackled Nicole with their reason, hopes of a victory shattered for the 22 year old traveler.

Long story short, the bike stays. I kind of feel like a dick since I took it down to Chenango Point and Jim packed it up all nice and pretty and safe. I really did appreciate it though. But I guess the rentals are right as usual. I have a lot of shit, and carrying a giant bike box around the airport or from place to place in NZ is just not a sensible way to travel. The good news was that this decision was based on both convenience and finances...and turns out that thanks to the accident I'm coming out of the summer further ahead than I planned. So, although Milo stays, I'm going to spring for a new baby down under. Please don't tell him though, he'd be heartbroken. He's better off not knowing that I'm a player. Anyway, there are tons of bike shops down there and the father of a kid I've been in touch with deals in Giants, so that could be fun. I'll take just about everything else...my shoes, clips, helmet, clothes...All I need is a new ride. And it's kind of fun to think of getting a new bike. Maybe I'll be able to get a lighter one or one more conducive for cyclecross (huge down under).

Just sent out two sweet job apps too: one to be a tour guide abseilling the caves of Waitomo and blackwater rafting (underground white water rafting) and acting as a tour guide Kayaking in the Southlands. Good pay, sweet gigs, I hope I get it. And if not I'll just go beg. I've been very lucky in life as far as jobs are concerned...considering I've really only worked in one place for the past five summers and it has been the best job ever. I think I'm spoiled a bit and way too proud for min. wage. I need to get over that fast.

I just thought of a few more sweet memorials...a memorial movie theater or bowling alley or somewhere where people actually enjoy themselves. Certainly not highways. That's just lame. And I'm sorry for the dead dude who they named the highway after.

-Nic

ps as a follow up on drinking coffee this morning...i feel like crap now that the caffine is out of my system. stupid sexy coffee.

pps just a note to everyone...I won't have my cell on me in NZ. Sprint's international rates are just too high. Instead, my father is taking over ownership of my phone until our plan runs out, so please no drunk dials to that number anymore. I'll keep you all posted on if and when I get a new phone because I just know that expensive calls to a NZ number is the new trend.

*name of highway has been changed because I don't remember the real name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home