Nicole's Tour

A compilation of the experiences that the upcoming year holds for me. Add a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of poetic spirit...and hopefully all will turn out alright.

Monday, September 19, 2005

The Tour de Shunk

"100 Miles of Endless Mountains"

First of all, that's not entirely true. It was 103 miles of endless mountains. "But who's counting?" you ask. I am, because after 99.9 miles you want to be done once that Odo roles over to the triple digits. Ah well, we're more badass for it, I suppose. I would first like to say that Aaron and I were the youngest people there by far. I am proud to say that I was one of about 5-7 women and the youngest by at least ten years.

So yes, Mr. Hollenbeck and myself completed (quite strongly I must add) our first century ride ever. It is the second hardest century ride in the country behind the "mountains of misery" ride down in Virginia or somewhere. So much for starting small. In all reality it wasn't as bad as one would think. The first 75 miles weren't at least. The rolling hills at the beginning were a nice warm up and then at the 20 mile mark came the "stinker" as they so thoughtfully dubbed it (get it? Shunk rhymes with Skunk...ah nevermind). So we climbed the two miles of nonsense, gaining some 1400 feet, which is like nothing I've ever done around here. It felt beautiful to reach the top (and even better to pass some people on the way up.) I still say it's a damn good thing I live on a hill...it prepared me well. There was one other tough climb of about 1.5 miles which rose to about 800 feet or so. We hit this at the 60 mile mark and by then it was pretty painful. Regardless we each made it up both big 'mountains' and didn't walk once (a lot of the guys who were fast on the flats walked some of the hills). The rest stops, although extremely short, were much appreciated as was the friendly conversation from my savior Randy who rode with me most of the way and helped me change the one flat I got throughout the ride. Rah for CO2 pumps!

As for the last 25 plus miles...I think my inner competitor was trying to emerge. I pushed that last 'stage' so hard I wanted to cry. My legs were screaming, cramping, questioning my sanity. My ass was inquiring as to why I had been sitting on a bike for over six hours. And I couldn't keep my hands in a comfortable position to save my life. But no matter, I was holding 18 mph on the flats and I passed two dudes on some hills. I averaged just under 16 mph the entire race and I finished out strong.

We were treated to a spaghetti dinner and free massages at the end of the race. Definitely worth every pedal.





I have learned some things from this experience:

1) I know why many cyclists walk with a hunched back.
2) One can consume unusually high amounts of calories when one rides for six plus hours.
3) The lowest/easiest gear one can shift into is called the "granny gear" by many...I for one am proud to use said "granny gear" as long as it gets me up the hills.
4) Packs of goo are gross.

--I know there are others but I am tired and not thinking straight tonight, I will add later--

So we kicked butt. I am curious to see how sore I will be tomorrow. It was worth it though. Because of this race, I am even more excited to be taking my bike to New Zealand with me. I hope that something great will come of this newfound love of cycling.


-NMK









ps Oh, I discovered how riding 100 miles for my 22nd birthday was a contribution to society...all the proceeds from the event went to the Livestrong foundation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home